Friday, April 24, 2009

Collegiate life

The following exchange I had at a gas station pretty much says all there is to say about Joliet, Illinois.

"Am I in Joliet?"
"Yes. Is there something specific you're looking for?"
"No, just Joliet."
[laughter from both gas station attendants]

John Irving said something like Joliet is where Chicago parks its trucks, and I had a hard time disagreeing with him last night. It was a rather convoluted route to take to get to DeKalb, Illinois from Joliet but I made it, even though again I had to skip a toll. This time there was an unattended coin basket and I didn't have any coins. Great. I paid the 80 cents online later. Hope no one comes chasing after me for it.

Kelsie and Pete and their friends were already well on their way down the bottle before I got here, so I thought it polite to join them as we went on a bit of a bar run in this college town. I can't believe I drove Kelsie's car home now in the bright light of day. I think I just wanted to drive a Prius. It's weird turning a car on instead of turning a key, and it makes no noise when it starts. It is funny how many Priuses (Priuii?} I see on the freeway speeding. Seems to me to be against the ethos of the car.


I woke up really disoriented and it took me a few minutes to figure out whether I was in a bed, on a futon or on a couch. I think being on the ground on an air mattress did that. I still felt like I was in Detroit. And by tonight I'll be disoriented in St. Louis with Pierre.


View Leg 18: DeKalb, Illinois in a larger map

1 comment: