Monday, April 13, 2009

Wifi-less

Atlanta and me didn't agree when it came to wifi. First, the wifi at the first coffee shop went to didn't work. Then Lindsey's wifi at her apartment wasn't working either. And finally, as you'll see from what I wrote this morning at another coffee shop, there was a power outage.

Written this morning:

I'm sitting in a dark coffee shop called the Java Monkey. Yesterday I posted from the Dancing Goat coffee shop. I wonder what's next? The Sleeping Sheep? The Cavorting Camel? The Pernicious Piranha? Somehow I like my names alliterative. Java Monkey? Bah!
It's a nice shop if the power was on. Last night there were several power outages at the bar Lindsey and I went to after dinner. And this morning there is a massive rain/wind storm and the power is out everywhere, including the stop lights. There is no wifi so this won't be posted until later. I'm not sure what's happening with my next stop in North Carolina as Sreeja in Charlotte has her in-laws in town while Amy in Chapel Hill area stays in the dorms. Looks like I might be moteling it again. I was hoping to stay in Atlanta for another day but Lindsey's work schedule is a little crazy at the moment and I didn't want to be a burden.

Lindsey is such a beautiful woman. It was great hanging out with her last night. It's a bit odd, our friendship, because we only really got to know each other after I introduced her to Ryan (from Oklahoma City, who is now married to LindsAy, a different person than LindsEy). Prior to that we were just coffee shop acquaintances. One of the things that has been a common theme during this trip is that how all my Christian friends from college, while remaining Christian, have now grown up (like me) and like to drink. And that makes them even more fun than they used to be. The Brick Store, where she took me last night has a whole bar upstairs dedicated to Belgian beers and we definitely had some yummy brews. She knew everyone who worked there and I invited them all to come stay with me in Portland, and I met a couple of fellow soccer fans to boot. All in all a great evening, made even better by the insane dreams (I remember three) that I had on Lindsey's couch.

The power is still out. Perhaps I should just start making my way to Charlotte and figure directions out as I go along. I doubt I'll be staying with Sreeja anyway, so might as well drive on to Chapel Hill and stay in a motel there so I can have breakfast with Amy.

-end-

And now I've just read what Mr. Toady wrote in a comment below. I have to assure him that I haven't been to a Denny's yet, and actually that I will be avoiding the Waffle House too. Let's just say that it came back to bite me last night in rather uncomfortable circumstances. Here I am sitting at the bar with a lovely girl and all I can think about is my poor aching belly.

The drive today was quite eventful. At least three upturned trees, and some winds that made the back of my car feel like it was about to get blown off the road. I asked Sreeja in a phone conversation whether there was a tornado advisory in the area because the clouds looked rather ominous. Apparently there wasn't, and the winds had died down by the time I stopped for gas is Pelzer, South Carolina outside of Greenville. Sreeja also told me that her in-laws last day in town is today, so my timing is a bit off. I'll have to get a hotel room again. I'm sitting in a Panera Bread on the outskirts of Charlotte, North Carolina waiting for her to get off work so we can hang out for a bit. Feels like a bit of a waste. I must try to find something interesting to do tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment