Monday, April 20, 2009

Live free or die

What an adversarial motto New Hampshire has. I'm now in Manchester, New Hampshire, staying in a motel for the evening. I had it in my head that I was going to start heading back west from Portland, Maine, but it made a lot for sense to retrace my route along I-95. That's the first time in this whole trip that I've done that. I then finally started heading west on Route 101 which happens to go through Exeter. The Exeter prep school was where John Irving went to high school and where he started wrestling. I did not realize I was going to be driving near Exeter at all so this was a serendipitous beginning to the Almost in Iowa part of the trip.

Manchester is, believe it or not, whiter than Portland (OR). 91.75% white, wikipedia tells me. I'll feel right at home then. It's a small place, only about a 150,000 people but it's the largest city north of Boston in the whole of New England. I'm debating whether I should go to this place downtown called The Strange Brew. I'm quite tired.

Portland, Maine is actually just about as white as Manchester. There are surprisingly quite a few famous people from this particular Portland, and the Portland where I live was named for this town too. Guster is apparently their biggest musical export. Manchester on the other hand really only gave us Adam Sandler. Oh, and the founders of MacDonald's are from here. Should I take that as a sign, just like I took it as a sign that I should stay in this motel because it's on Brown Avenue?


View Leg 15: New England in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment