Monday, April 20, 2009

The vegan Christians of Portland

Of course I must post something from Portland, Maine. Too bad it is Monday and the museum is closed. I've made pretty good time to here so I don't think I'll be sticking around for that long. The city does seem a little run down, not that clean, but there are a few bars that I saw along this main street (Congress) that had very Oregonian Portland looking hipsters hanging outside smoking. I'm writing this from Little Lad's Bakery and Cafe. Across from me sits one of the employees. He's from Jamaica and he's singing along to the Christian rock that's playing on the stereo. I found out two things pretty quickly after I walked in: that this is a vegan coffee shop and that it's a Christian-themed shop. The popcorn is supposed to be amazing.


It's weird being on the other side of the country. My trip to New York really was great and now that I've spent some good times with a good friend, there's a bit of a stretch where I don't know anyone. And I'm taking a trip that follows a character from a rather sad story, a man dominated by a possibly unfaithful wife who decides to run from her. In a way, some of that pain that I felt after the end of my relationship with Alex returned during my visit with her, and that somehow feels connected to this man who is running from a different kind of pain. His pain is definitely greater. Mine is an odd sort of pain. There's a happiness that Alex and I are still good friends and enjoy each others' company. And there's a sadness of two sorts for me, one that things were never ideal for us when we were dating (but when are they for anyone?) and that Alex lives quite a distance away. It might be a while before I see her again, and I definitely will miss her companionship. I am happy though again that she's doing really well and enjoying her time in New York. It's crazy what an effect other people can have on your life.

Time to pick up a little souvenir from this little town called Portland. I think I've got a bit of driving still today before I find a spot to sleep in.

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder if vegan Christians have trouble with the sacrament of Communion. I mean, if they're eating the body of Christ, doesn't that make them carnivores?

    Sorry, I'm sure this topic has been presented in a cleverer fashion by Bill Hicks or somebody much funnier than I. Hey, just trying to lighten things up, now that your trip is turning all maudlin and shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got a snow globe.

    ReplyDelete