Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Taking its toll

What do they do with all the toll money on the East Coast? There are tolls everywhere. No sooner have you paid one you stop again and they give you another little ticket to carry to the next booth. Inevitably, I didn't think to get enough cash and came up two dollars short at a New York state tollbooth. They gave me a little receipt and told me to pay it either by mail within 5 days or at the next tollbooth. It took a confusing hour to find an ATM off the next exit and to get back onto the freeway as this part of New York wasn't very accommodating with its services.

Yesterday's drive was probably the longest and most stressful of the trip. Not an auspicious beginning to the Irving trip. I'm not sure now about this character. He's never been a very sympathetic being, running pathetically in that way from his troubles. Which is probably why I've had a bit of an affinity for him. I left Manchester early but it took me a lot longer to get through to Bennington, Vermont than I anticipated. This is where the first leg of the character's trip ends, and I ate over here and finally got my oil changed. I was very stressed about my car the whole of yesterday's drive, especially since the oil change fella told me I probably needed my transmission flushed. I took it to a transmission place in Cleveland this morning and they said nothing was needed, so I feel better. After finally getting out of Vermont, I didn't think I'd be in New York state for as long as I was. That is one hell of a long state, and although parts of it are pretty, a lot of it is boring. And I had that toll thing add to my time. I finally got to Cleveland after 13 hours on the road, to be greeting by Victor's very nice parents and their very nice house.

I spoke with a fellow Liverpool fan at the Airport Diner in Manchester, NH. I can't believe I've now missed two 4-4 draws in a week. I must catch the next game. Of course, it will probably finish 0-0.


View Leg 16: Cleveland via John Irving in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. This blog would be greatly improved by the omission of any and all soccer references.

    ReplyDelete