Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stagnantwater

Actually, Stillwater isn't that stagnant any more. When I drove in last night, I got lost because a lot has changed. The city now has two Wal-Marts (great! I love Wal-Mart!) and a big shopping center north of town. Plus the stadium, which was expanded with money from everybody's favourite environmentalist T. Boone Pickens while I was still in school here, has been expanded even further. Very disorienting.

The drive here was very, very boring, and I just couldn't seem to wake up at all. I finally got to Wichita, Kansas after an excruciating drive on I-70 through Kansas. I hope to never drive that stetch of I-70 again. I really wanted to go down into New Mexico but then I spoke with Cameron, who lives in Wichita, and it would be nice to see him. And so I did, but only for about 15 minutes as he was between clients (he does Chinese massage, I believe). It was good to see him even for that brief space of time. Wichita is awkwardly placed as it is only about two hours from Stillwater. I got to Stillwater by 9, and there was a little welcoming party of Todd, Jared and ChanaSue. I lived with Jared on several different occasions, and because him and ChanaSue drive to Alaska every year for the summer, I've now seen them in Portland or Seattle three times. Today I went to campus and visited with a few people I know that still work here, although many have moved on even in the two and a half years since I've been gone. It was fun to see my old boss, she's a riot. And then, finally, after living nearby it for years, I went to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

It's a funny little place, with lots of mannequins wearing the wrestling leotard or whatever it is. I looked for and found the plaque for John Irving. I'm sure to his chagrin, he is right next to Donald Rumsfeld, although perhaps he's not too upset because on his other side is Kirk Douglas. I also saw Michael Collins, the guy who didn't walk on the moon while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin did. I wonder if he ever regrets that. I talked with the girl at the front desk, and apparently her mother is really good friends with John Irving. I donated five dollars to them, and I creepily took down the address from a letter John Irving wrote to the Hall of Fame back in 2000. Maybe I'll write him a letter and tell him about my trip, although I don't think he's a fan of the story from which I'm taking my Vermont to Illinois route.

It depresses me a little bit to be in Stillwater. I was stuck here for too long, and I'm really glad I moved, and that to Portland. Everybody says that this place sucks you in, and they are right. One of the people that I might see while I'm here is Danielle, who just moved back after several years away and she's going to be back here for another 2 or 3 years with her husband and baby. I could never do that. It is good to see the people that are here and I'm staying tonight as well, but after that, it's Oklahoma City, Dallas and Austin. I already have in mind the CD purchase I will make at an independent record store in Austin. The new Doves album came out today.


View Leg 6: Stillwater, Oklahoma in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment